Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Reflection


During my time volunteering, I kept asking myself one question, “Am I making a difference,” and to be honest, I think I did. During the whole year, the Recycle Team and I had planned out a recycled fashion show. Parit Patel and I wrote a letter to Mrs. Grimmett asking for her permission to host a third Recycle Fashion Show; we also wrote a letter to the student council asking for their cooperation during the event. I also helped design and maintain a game during the event.  On top of helping planning the Recycle Fashion Show, I was also on a committee commissioned to create a music video for the recycling team.  The recycle team also noticed that the custodial staff of the college was simply throwing the recyclables into the trash with all the other non-recyclables; this lead to the unanimous decision that we would take over, and on Thursday afternoons, we would collect all the recyclables from the Early College classrooms. This expanded into placing recycle bins in the café so that people would recycle cans and plastic, which Justin Cummings would then take to the recycle center.
I personally believe that the school has become more ecofriendly this year. The campaign we ran this year focused on reaching out to the community and educating them. During the lunches we setup a booth so that people could come and hear us in exchange for a cupcake. The amount of  people who came out was overwhelming. I believe that we have made a difference in this school’s understanding of the importance of protecting the environment.
Next year, I will continue to participate in the recycle team. I will have more time to dedicate to the issues and hope that we will come back stronger and better.
The recycle team could have run a tighter ship. We did a good job, but the organization could have been a little more precise. Next year, we hope to run the team on a tighter time format; that was are biggest flaw this time around.


No comments:

Post a Comment